First impressions

It’s day four of our 6-week trip and ALL my first impressions are good ones. Just as I expected, the abundance of local African fruit is prevalent near our house and in all areas of Accra. For the last three days I have feasted, to say the least, on fresh mango, pineapple and papaya. I swear each piece of mango and pineapple is a magical burst of energy that kicks my day off right.

So there are 15 of us living under one homely African roof. Our house has six bedrooms, a common area, fully functioning kitchen, covered front porch and lots of clotheslines out back for our soon-to-come laundry. The house is comfortable and spacious. I got the top bunk about one foot under a ceiling fan, next to a floor fan, and in front of an open window. I sleep with one sheet and I am completely complacent. The weather here is humid and hot, but at night it cools down enough to sleep with all the extra fans.

Our house doesn’t have an address number so we refer to the location as “American House,” which is actually the name of a nearby main road. All of the locals and taxi drivers know where to take us, even without the number. Actually, most of the houses here don’t have address numbers, so Ghanaians get around by just saying street junctions or road names.

A delicious breakfast to kick off our day!

Here is another delicious treat we had our second night: fried plantain. My adviser convinced me it was lizard, which wasn’t funny while I had a mouthful. But, the expression on my face ruined her joke rather quickly when she busted up laughing.

« »