Fufu for you

Roses are red, Violets are blue, Lanabroni ate fufu, and you can too!

I did it. I faced my fears. I finally took the plunge. I. Tried. Fufu. And the moment I stuck my hand into the gooey mess I knew I would never be the same.

Fufu is a typical Ghanaian dish made from green plantains and cassava that are boiled and pounded repeatedly. Ghanaians eat it with stew or fish, gathering a pinch of fufu in their hands and then dipping it in soup or sauce. Because the doughy ball expands in your stomach people generally eat it on empty stomach.

Fufu
Yum.

So, after a tiring weekend trip to Kumasi, I woke up on Monday deciding it was time man up and fill my stomach with some smashed plantains and cassava. On my way to lunch I told my co-worker, “Anna, today I am going to eat fufu.” Her delighted face told me that she had been waiting for this moment since my first day on the job.

As we got to our usual lunch spot, a tiny restaurant shack that sits in an alley next to a house, Anna ushered me around the corner where I found a smiling, toothless women sitting on a small chair. She seemed very excited to meet me, and as I went in for a handshake she stuffed her wrist in my face, insisting I shake that because her hands were covered in fufu. Anna explained to her that I needed a small portion and they discussed the price while I took in the scenery. The woman, who I later learned was named Sweet, was seated in front of a large wooden bowl. She had one hand in a bag of what I assumed were plantains and the other hand was clutching a large wooden pistle. After we ordered she got to work, spooning handfuls of plantains and water into the bowl.

Later, when I went to pick up my fufu, the cook asked my name. When I told her my name was Lana she explained when she has a granddaughter she is going to name her after me. We laughed and bonded some more and then she handed me my fufu. I looked down and found myself holding a bowl with a small ball of what appeared to be very sticky dough. The waitress poured light soup, a basic broth with goat meat, over it and directed me to sit and start eating.

When eating fufu it is crucial that one remember two key things: 1. Eat with the right hand only and 2. Never chew fufu. I quickly learned how to scoop and swallow the dough ball without chomping down. To my surprise I really enjoyed the meal. The soup had the perfect hint of spiciness and, as soon as I got the hang of it, the fufu was the perfect accompaniment.

When I walked back into the office I proudly told everyone I just ate my first fufu. While a few seem confused as to why they were receiving this information, most of my co-workers were elated and I received squeals of, ‘Lanabroni ate fufu! Lanabroni! Lanabroni!’ (Lanabroni being my nickname used at the office because A. My name is Lana and B. Obroni means white person).

It wasn’t until later though, when I had to squeeze onto the trotro home, that I felt the full effects of the expanded fufu in my stomach. Totally worth it.

« »