Looking out the window of the Obruni bus during our adventure through the Volta region this past weekend I had a moment of clarity. I opened the window and watched the lush jungle vegetation dance past me as the crimson sunset was illuminated behind silhouetted trees. As I watched, I noticed a particular lyric in one of my favorite Tallest Man on Earth songs that I was listening to at the time; “One day I’ll find just a friend who can see all this weird beauty, thrown right at me.”

Then it dawned on me. The dark cloud of problems that shadows Africa veils its true beauty to many outsiders. As an outsider traveling in an African country, it’s easy to focus on all the things that are so different and difficult to deal with. The small annoyances, like the monotonous food, vendors never having change, the masses of trash that litter the ground, the unfamiliar smells, can blanket the real experience. Yet, in the midst of the poverty, the waste, and the disease that is so prevalent here, I still wake up every morning and ask myself what will today hold? What can I learn about the people, the culture, and myself? As I looked out the window, I realized that this place, this culture, these people are all so indescribably full of beauty. What is it about Africa that gives it its simple yet magical brilliance?

It’s the authenticity. The motorcycle taxis, the red dirt roads, the street vendors, the abundance of fruit, the never-ending colors. It’s the music, the dancing, the drumbeat. It’s having no expectations. It’s looking into another person’s eyes and realizing that you share the same earth; that they matter, that they’re here, too. It’s feeling safe. It’s genuine conversation. It’s tradition. It’s the phrase, “You are welcome,” every time you walk into a room. It’s national peace during an unexpected shift in power. It’s the children that always smile and wave and the babies that never cry or scream. It’s the smile on someone’s face when they see you making an effort to speak their language. It’s entire families living under the same small roof because it creates unity and support. It’s the boys who show up to play soccer barefoot every day on dirt lots with broken glass. It’s the young men that hold the hands of their elders to help them cross the chaotic streets. It’s spirituality. It’s funerals that truly celebrate life and are not complete without dancing. It’s accepting that things aren’t perfect but can work. It’s the unwavering hope that things will get better.

All this weird beauty has been thrown right at me. It’s the type of beauty that makes you want to leave your possessions, escape everything you’ve been taught to care about, and find what is truly important to you. It’s the type of beauty that cannot be found in the United States or anywhere else. It’s authentic, true, and genuine to its origin and too vibrant to be ignored. I hope I never forget it and I hope I can share it with those who are unable to see it for themselves.

Thrown Right At Me – The Tallest Man on Earth