5am thoughts from an Amsterdam Hostel on the way to Accra: Be Unprepared

First observation from flying to the other side of the planet is that Jet Lag sucks. But, it has given me some alone time (minus the two german dudes passed out on the floor) to reflect on the jump off of this journey.

Before leaving my house for the airport, I stood staring at my two massive bags. I was going over in my head what was in the bags and what wasn’t with 100% confidence that I was missing something critical. My mom had done her best mom attempt to not let her 24 year old son screw this up. There are zip locks on zip locks full of stuff she insisted I was going to need (no idea what some of it is). But, still the odds that I had everything I was going to need for six weeks in Ghana were slim. Thats when I had a very calming realization… dude its six weeks in Ghana, there is no way you are going to have everything you need for that.

Thus, my new motto for this adventure: Be unprepared.

Go with me on this. Being prepared for something that you cant predict is impossible and to even try is extremely limiting. Rather, we should embrace discovering and reacting. Lets just do the damn thing and make it work the best we can. Lets be ok with not being prepared for what we encounter or experience.

Lets be excited about the fact that we are unprepared.

Ohhh, that reminds me I need to go buy some toothpaste since PDX TSA confiscated mine (a little prepared is ok).

« »