Today, June 26th, we went to Anani Memorial International School in Nima. And those kids at school melted my heart.

After being rained on and getting soaked, dodging “water falls” from the gutters, and turning corners countless times in little alleyways, we finally arrived at the school. It was nothing like any school I have ever seen in the States, let alone any other countries I have been to, such as the Philippines and Thailand, where schools can be quite small and unequipped.

I do not know how many kids were sitting there in the classroom waiting for us, probably about 100 kids. They were in their purple uniforms, sitting rather quietly. This would be hard to be find in the schools in the States, especially when many kids were gathered in one small place. Can you believe five-year-olds can memorize and site poems with no mistakes? How astonishing!

Even though each kid was adorable while performing, reciting poems, singing, and dancing, it was hard to watch them in the beginning. I do not know exactly what made me tear up. I did not necessarily feel “bad” for them, whenever I say I feel bad for someone, I often feel as though I am patronizing them. But I guess I felt thankful as well as proud of them because they are trying so hard when they aren’t given many resources or opportunities. 

I loved that we all got to dance with them and learn some secret handshakes, clapping games, and dance moves. I hope their innocence and joyfulness rubbed off on me so I can bring back it back to the States and practice!