Classroom

One truly spectacular aspect of Ghana, among the countless others, is the palpable air of collectivism. By this I mean that Ghanaians and everyone else here seem to really care abut each other and being happy, together. This happiness isn’t plastic (think unenthusiastically singing happy birthday to a friend in a one-step-up from a fast food restaurant chain restaurant kind of way) but a real, genuine happiness. Something hard to describe but easy to internalize! People are visibly excited about life and it seems that however cheesy it may sound, or ignorant, or what have you, that happiness is in the air. Akwaaba means welcome here and from the big “Akwaaba” sign welcoming everyone in the airport to the ear-to-ear bright and genuine smiles, we as Media in Ghana students feel welcome.

I’ll keep this first blog light and I’m only slightly ashamed to say that a listicle is forthcoming. Overall, I’m here because I want to be. I’m a hard worker. I love my job; I love being a student and seizing a good opportunity when I see one academically and personally. I love what this Media in Ghana program is about. But, I’m also here to feel, feel happiness and togetherness, a sense of collectivity that is so clearly in Ghana.

Here goes what I’m excited about so far though the list will grow:

1. Mangos! They taste like ice cream.
  2. Time to think. The structure of this program is such that once you learn concepts in class you actually have time to work through them. When learning about media here and the complex aspects of Ghanaian economy, geography, ethnicity and colonialism you want this time. It is not a learn it and lose it environment that a full schedule of traditional classes often plagues you with.
  3. The comedic styling of the group a la Shirley, Joanie, and Andy aka Kwasi or Kwasi aka Andy, actually everyone cracks me up! Check out their blogs too!
  4. Having the creative freedom to blog which at its semi-worst is a forum to be uber self-involved (Checkmate. I love talking about me) and at its best, is a space to delve into truly important aspect of Ghanaian media (Checkmate. I get to nerd out about my discipline of media studies and see it from a very different cultural context).
  5. Our upcoming field trips to Kumasi, Cape Coast and Elmina, and Volta region, trips that will be a mix of emotions. With this comes…
  6. Leslie’s impeccable organization of our trips, these skills I envy and will likely never truly possess.
  7. Getting to play with children! I’m fairly un-amused by arguments against playing with children in foreign countries for fear of being a “white savior,” a term I find very troubling. If you love children and are good with them generally, why wouldn’t you love and want to play with children here? If you can critically think and have an open-mind and big heart, like every one of the students in the program, then I know the pros far outweigh the potential cons. I likely won’t entertain that further.
  8. Getting to learn collaboratively. Both on an awesome academic article with Dr. Chávez and on journalistic skills with the group.
  9. Monkey sanctuary. I am animal obsessed!
  10. I saved one of the best for last. My internship with Starr FM and involvement with the strategy team for ARHR (a nonprofit for reproductive health rights).

The blogs in the coming weeks will likely touch on these listicled aspects, but I’m sure there will be surprises along the way. I’m here to feel, feel happiness and togetherness, a sense of collectivity that is so clearly here. I hope I can do it a smidge of justice. Akwaaba to my thoughts, which I have never shared in blog form. Let’s see what this experience holds!