Photo students

This is a just a quick post to share what has probably been the highlight of the trip for me so far: teaching a photo and video journalism workshop to students at the University of Ghana. As part of my internship with Radio Univers, the campus radio station, I’m training 12 eager young reporters to use the Canon DSLR that the station recently purchased. Teaching has always been something I’ve loved and it’s one of my major goals in pursuing my master’s degree, so I’m thrilled to be getting this experience from this program.

Day one with the students went better than I could have hoped. The students were enthusiastic and excited to learn everything I could share. They all stayed a full hour after the class ended to practice with the cameras and ask questions. Is there anything more fun than watching someone discover something new that they love to do?

My workshop actually made the news at the radio station. Here’s the article about it.

I can’t wait for next week’s class when we’ll review the results of their first assignment.

Article screenshot