Friday, July 22, 2016

I woke up for work a little late today. Two hours late to be exact. I jumped in the shower about an hour later than when I’m supposed to the leave the house to catch the tro tro, knowing I had to be sitting at my desk at work in thirty minutes. I threw on my Kente dress and ran out of the house with soaking wet hair.

With fifteen minutes to get to work, I decided to jump on the back of a guy’s motorcycle who said he would take me for ten cedis. We flew down the highway, weaving through traffic and jumping on the sidewalk when my driver couldn’t squeeze between lanes. Motorcycles follow traffic laws less than cars do. We never stopped for a traffic light and my driver slammed on his brakes more than once to avoid hitting local street sellers. I want to say I was scared, but I was too busy taking Snapchat selfies.

My hour and a half tro tro ride turned into a twelve minute motorcycle ride, and my driver dropped me off right at the front entrance of my office. I made it to work before most of my coworkers, and I even got some extra sleep.

Don’t worry, I wore a helmet.

moto