We embarked on our journey to Ghana one week ago today. Adjusting to life in Accra challenges each of us to venture beyond our comfort zone, but I’ve come to realize that the cold showers are refreshing and Ghanaians are welcoming. Each day, I recognize another small luxury that I took for granted in America. After washing my clothes, I discovered that hand-washing is laborious but just as effective as a washing machine.

On our first day, Leslie and Doc gave us a tour of Accra. From the slums to shopping malls, I noticed a large wealth gap prevalent in Ghana. We visited the beautiful Aburi Gardens, the University of Ghana, Legon, and W. E. B. DuBois’ home. From various professors, we have heard lectures on the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade, the History of Advertising in Ghana, and the Twi language.

Yesterday, we visited Anani Memorial International School in Nima, Accra. Upon entering the compound, the children grabbed our hands and flashed wide smiles. I have never seen a happier group of children. They prepared a performance with singing (in English, French, and Twi), dancing, and live music. We danced and sang together, and while the classroom was so full of joy and laughter inside, I was saddened to see so many children beyond the walls of the compound. Unable to attend school, they gripped the bars outside the window and gazed in. However, the reception and warmth we received from the students at Anani Memorial International School was heartwarming.