Almost all people in Ghana speak English well. It is due to its colony history. Hundreds of years ago, Europeans came to this land and started their predatory and ruthless consumption.
With the development of globalization, English-speaking ability is definitely a plus for communication and cooperation with the developed world, but wouldn’t it remind Ghanaians of the dark history? My American friends usually ask me about the relationship between Chinese and Japanese people. I have to say deeply in Chinese people’s mind, they do not really like Japanese.
The situation here in Ghana is quite different. Ghanians are very happy and passionate. They are not afraid of speaking with foreigners. Actually, they would love to have a conversation with us. This past weekend, Leslie and our local guide, Sunny, took us to the second largest Ghanaian market in Kumasi. We saw how those lovely Ghanaians run their small businesses. We walked very fast on the narrow path, but when people saw us, they happily yelled, “American! China!”
Ghana is a promising country, Ghanians are chuffed people. Our night guard Alex once told me how much he loves his country. He said Ghana is great. No matter how far and how long he will be away from here, he will come back eventually. “This is my Ghana. I love my Ghana,” he said.