English is a fairly universal language. Still, meanings differ from region to region. My coworkers and I struggle to comprehend one another quite frequently, even as we chat in English. It’s most complicated when it comes to terms frequently used in advertising.

Examples:

• key message = headline
  • sub-message = body copy
  • audio-visuals = television commercials and radio
  • flyer = print ad
  • and tagline doesn’t seem to exist

Here at Emerge, we still produce the same deliverables for clients that an agency in America would, just referred to by different names. It’s frustrating that a language barrier can exist within a single language.

Nevertheless, I am appreciative that English is so widely spoken here. I took a Twi class to prepare for this trip, but 10 weeks is not enough time to master a language. More so, not everyone speaks Twi. The range of dialects also includes Fante, Ga, Ewe and more. English is a way for people to communicate even if they don’t speak the same local dialect.

The language barrier also exists beyond the workplace. It is present in the varying accents and connotations. It seeps into rides on the tro tro, interactions with locals, and negotiations for a fair taxi price. I really have to focus to understand what’s said, but the frustration has taught me to be more patient, and the concentration has taught me to be a better listener.