Doing the media in Ghana program was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Living in Ghana challenged me and changed me. I came home a much more patient and understanding person. It gave me a better appreciation for the different ways in which people live and it altered my value system — all for the better.

I’m probably one of the more memorable members of the alumni group as I spent a few days in the hospital with a terrible case of food poisoning, and after the program ended, I got stuck in the country for two weeks after the infamous Ghana Airways went out of business.

Ironically, those experiences made my time in Ghana even richer – I was able to get an up-close and personal look at the health care system and I was able to explore, experience and appreciate the country for longer than the rest of my group.

At my internship at TV Africa, I formed lifelong friendships with two Ghanian interns. In fact, a few months ago, I met up with one of them while traveling in England and while at dinner, we facetimed our old boss from TV Africa. Just last year, I attended the other former intern’s wedding in New Jersey.

Living on the east coast, not a month goes by that I don’t meet someone from Ghana. We always bond over my experience there. So glad I did the program and I’m better for it!