I’ve been in more than 36 countries in my academic career, but fortunately this was my first trip to the African Continent. I can’t think about a better first trip to this unique part of the world that through the gates of a friendly and hospitable nation and the guidance of an expert scholar and teacher, my colleague Leslie Steeves (who since then I respectfully call “Mama Ghana” for her great knowledge of the country and its people, as well as her personal dedication to the program). This travel experience included culture, politics, history, traditions, professional activities and much more. It is a well-balanced program that included learning, amusement and appreciation for resilience and a place full of opportunities for a better future. Ghanaians are optimistic and proud of their heritage and their role in upholding democracy and progress in the world’s second-largest and second-most populous continent. I also saw change and joy in the eyes of the students who participated in this educational adventure. I’ve recommended this program to other students, faculty, alumni, and even donors. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Juan-Carlos Molleda, Ph.D.

Edwin L. Artzt Dean and Professor

School of Journalism and Communication