From Bangladesh to Africa: Ghana in My Mind

[By Nishat Parvez]

This is my first time traveling to the African continent, which has raised a lot of questions from my family. I’ve been traveling internationally alone since 2016, starting with a volunteer camp in Sri Lanka. Coming from a conservative family, this was quite unusual, but over time, my family, especially my extended family, has adjusted to it. However, when I told one of my uncles about my summer plans, he immediately started questioning my decision to go there alone.

In Bangladesh, there are many stereotypes about Africa. Despite many Bangladeshis working in South Africa, Egypt, and Libya for a long time, the prevailing image is one of disease, conflict, and mosquitoes, largely shaped by media portrayals.

I didn’t know much about Ghana until I joined SOJC. In Bangladesh, “From Ghana” is often used as a joke due to a movie star. But over time, I learned about this program and met people from Ghana. Interestingly, my PhD supervisor is also from Ghana. Meeting with him and discussing the culture and politics of both Bangladesh and Ghana sparked my interest in conducting research there, and I’m curious about the outcomes.

Initially, I was unsure if I could participate in the program due to my chronic health issues, but Professor Leslie Steeves and Dr. Senyo Ofori-Parku encouraged me to believe in myself. Now, here I am, packing my clothes for Ghana. I am excited about working with CDD, as this will be my first experience working outside of Bangladesh and the USA.

I hope my travels can provide valuable insights to my peers in Bangladesh about a small, yet vibrant part of Africa. For me, it will be an opportunity to learn from a different culture, make new friends, and taste new foods!