Ghana – A Vibrant Difference

[By Malcolm Durfee]

It is regrettable how many stereotypes about Africa prevail in the United States. When I first told many of my older relatives about this opportunity, they had reservations about me going. This is interesting because this is not the first time I have traveled outside of the country, but it is the first time I have traveled to a country that does not have the Western comforts of Europe and America. Although my relative’s concern comes from the fact they care about me, it also comes from a place of ignorance. 

None of my relatives had an issue with me going to Washington, D.C. for the Fourth of July, even though it would be more likely to face gun violence or get robbed. None of my concerned relatives brought up any facts about Accra or Ghana. Instead, they just talked about how Africa is an “unsafe” place. They spoke of Africa as if it were just one country. I respect my older relatives’ opinions, but I will not give in to blind fear just because I am unfamiliar with the area and there are stereotypes about it. Therefore, I tried my best to keep an open mind about the experience.

Once I landed in Accra, I realized how wrong all my older relatives were and how much they were missing out on. The first thing I noticed was how beautiful Accra is. Its lush greenery is unrivaled by anywhere I have been. It instantly calms me and reminds me of Eugene, Oregon. Yet, the weather is warmer here, and so are the people. Even strangers smile and give you a thumbs up; everyone here seems happy and cheerful. Even strangers love to shake your hand, ask how you are doing, and make small talk. The landlord, Bright, has helped me with my Twi (one of the many Ghanaian languages). Every time I walk into the lobby, he shakes my hand. In Ghana, they love this handshake where they snap each other’s fingers. That part is still a work in progress for me.

There were many differences from Eugene; it is incredible how affordable everything is here. We went to the village that sells handmade wooden figures and art pieces. I got a handwoven tapestry that has two Ashanti symbols on it. One is the Sankofa bird, which represents looking back. The other is a version of Akofena, which represents bravery and courage. Then, I got a small handmade mask and a wooden Akofena statue. All of this only cost me $25. 

The artwork I bought, sitting on the bus

The next day, a seamstress named Auntie Janet brought fabric and clothes to our apartment to try on clothes and measure us. For less than $50, I got premade shorts, a fanny pack, a backpack, a custom shirt, and custom pants. These are quality handmade cloths made out of wax fabric with vibrant patterns. Being here has changed my perspective on the value of supporting local artisans. I am excited to keep exploring all the fun differences between Ghana and America.