The Power of Culture: Lessons from Ghana’s Indigenous Youth

[By Jorney Baldwin]

One of the things I was most excited about when traveling to Ghana was meeting the Indigenous teachers and children. It’s rare to see Indigenous-to-Indigenous connections highlighted in our history books. As I’ve mentioned before, a recurring theme in my blog posts is the concept of seven generations— preparing the way for those who came before and those who will come after us.

Visiting Anani Memorial International School (AMIS) and being welcomed by the children through dance was an absolute honor. These children, around ages 5-10, who are mainly orphans, recited words and quotes I didn’t encounter until my undergraduate education. They spoke with such poise and strength that I was moved to tears.

As an American, I was initially concerned about the school’s conditions. Many students were barefoot, the floors were dirt, and the temperature inside was significantly hotter than outside. How do these children learn in such environments? The answer lies in the community of people.

Community and culture are vital and inspiring for Indigenous people. Music and dance help us stay connected to others and ourselves, similar to the Indigenous peoples of America. A lack of community can hinder the educational experience. I’ve experienced this personally; despite having access to beautiful facilities and being enriched by some of the best people in my fields, not having a sense of connection or community in these types of spaces makes learning almost impossible. We can also see this throughout grade school: a strong community can make all the difference for a child. 

While I can’t speak to the social concerns that may happen at this school (like bullying or difficulty making friends, like some students struggle with at that age), each student can express themselves in ways their ancestors did ( through activities like dance and music) which is highly beneficial for Indigenous youth. Though I often focus on Indigenous people, I can’t stress enough the importance of community for everyone. We all want to feel like we belong, and the company we keep matters. Without it, life can feel pointless. But through culture, we are always connected and never alone.

We all know how crucial it is to move our bodies, but sometimes, I forget the joy of embracing dance until I’m in it. These students gave me something I was truly yearning for. I’ve been feeling tired and missing my family, but these children felt like family. They held our hands tightly and gave me the community I needed at that moment. The principal of the school, Kofi Anane, shared a quote that resonated deeply with me: “Connect to correct.” This phrase means so much, and reversing it to “correct to connect” also holds powerful significance. 

Connect to Correct: For me, this signifies the chance to address past mistakes by fostering connections and promoting education. By learning from each other’s lived experiences and sharing our personal stories, we can grow together.

Correct to Connect: Acknowledging and rectifying one’s actions, along with recognizing when to seek help, are crucial for building meaningful connections and enriching experiences. This self-awareness not only strengthens our relationships but also promotes personal growth and a deeper understanding of ourselves and others.

Personal Reflections:

This experience has been truly transformative. Witnessing the resilience and spirit of these children in such challenging conditions highlighted the incredible strength of their community. It has deepened my appreciation for how crucial a supportive environment is for learning and personal growth. I commend the teachers, staff, and faculty for their unwavering dedication to helping these children become strong, independent individuals. Fostering culture in various ways allows for meaningful self-expression. It was heartening to see culture being passed down, as this ensures it is never lost. When children are not given the opportunity to embrace their culture, it risks disappearing with the previous generation. 

I am deeply grateful to the community for welcoming me with open arms. Thank you to the teachers, the children, and the principal for sharing your world with me. Special thanks to the University of Oregon’s “Media in Ghana” program for facilitating this visit and making it possible for me to meet these amazing children. 

This visit has reinforced the importance of supporting Indigenous communities around the world. I encourage everyone to learn more about these cultures and consider how they can contribute to preserving and promoting Indigenous traditions. Whether through donations, volunteering, or simply educating oneself, every effort counts.