Akwaaba: Innova DDB’s Warm Welcome!

[By Faria Shaikh]

Hello, everyone!

We all began working on our internships in the second week in Accra, Ghana. Due to my background and experience in advertising and public relations, I was placed with Innova DDB, one of the leading advertising agencies in Ghana.

“Akwaaba” means “welcome” in Twi, and we were welcomed on our first day with bright smiles. From the moment Tai and I, interning at the same place, stepped into this creatively designed office, it was clear that this experience would offer invaluable insights and growth, especially in international advertising and creative communications.

Innova DDB operates under the broad umbrella of Ninani Group, which includes other businesses related to digital media, digital marketing specialization, public relations, and media buying. The agency’s approach is both unique and modern, which also reflects the rapidly evolving industry.

Tai and I on the first day of our internship

The first day of the internship was a mixture of orientation and introductions. We were taken to each of Ninani Group’s offices, located not very far from each other, and met all the different teams. We experienced Ghana’s welcoming culture, or “Akwaaba” at its finest.

Welcome new interns! Instagram post by Innova DDB

We were then briefed by different team members. They each delivered a presentation on their role in designing advertising campaigns.

One thing that stood out was the mention of a strategy to transform a brand from “average” to “exceptional.” The focus on transforming a clothing and fashion brand established by the first president of the country, “GTP,” from mediocre to genuinely classy and elegant was truly interesting to see.

Website page for one of our clothing clients, GTP

Hearing this story of the brand’s transformation was truly fascinating. It included intricate and subtle details such as logos and colors to enhance brand perception. Moreover, it also included a deeper understanding of “psychology” and how consumers think, perceive, and react to different styles. Working in marketing communications in Pakistan, I utilized similar strategies to address brand value, perception, and image.

At Innova DDB, we work alongside market researchers, creative strategists, PR strategists, digital strategists, content writers, graphic designers, and visual artists, providing a holistic view of how an ad campaign is designed and launched. Each of these roles plays a crucial part in shaping any campaign’s success for a client.

As a part of my internship project, I’m working on a behavioral change communications campaign focusing on neurodivergence in Ghana. Having witnessed mental health struggles firsthand and its impact on a global scale has made this topic is deeply personal to me. Awareness around both mental health issues and neurodivergence in developing countries is minimal. Therefore, I am fueled to create a campaign that truly resonates and advocates for awareness of neurodivergent individuals.

It is exciting to study and research the mental health landscape in West Africa, particularly Ghana, and to see the gaps in understanding the severity of the issue and the availability of treatment. Moreover, there is a significant stigma associated with mental health issues in Ghana, which is not very different from my home country, Pakistan.

My creative brief for the behavior change campaign I’m working on

Each creative project and campaign begins with an comprehensive creative brief that highlights the first few steps in the process. Then, necessary research is conducted to gain deeper insights from the target audience and market. With a team of dedicated market researchers, creative strategists, designers, and digital managers providing invaluable feedback at each step, I couldn’t be more excited to work on this project.

So far, my experience at Innova DDB has been enriching and educational. I feel like I learn something new every day. I also have the opportunity to exchange of ideas and thoughts with my colleagues, truly, a learning opportunity for all of us. This experience gives me a deeper understanding of applied global communication strategy and its impact across different continents, including, but not limited to, Asia, North America, and Africa.

I’m excited to dive deeper into this project over the coming weeks and share more about my experiences. Stay tuned for more updates from this incredible journey at Innova DDB!

One thought on “Akwaaba: Innova DDB’s Warm Welcome!

1. It was a fun and educational experience with you and Tai! All the best in the next stage of your career 🙂