Akoma: Embracing the Symbol of Love in Kumasi

[By Faria Shaikh]

In the city of Kumasi, Ghana, I discovered the Adinkra symbol “Akoma”—the heart, which represents love, unity, and patience. It touched me deeply… and I felt a profound connection to the country’s spirit.

Adinkra Symbols

This past weekend, we had the opportunity to visit Kumasi, the second largest city in Ghana, following Accra. The journey, spanning more than six hours, was memorable, but also quite bumpy. As we traveled, I was struck by the subtle and apparent differences between Accra and Kumasi. From the roads and homes to the architectural styles of buildings, it was clear that Kumasi offered a distinct vibe compared to Accra.

One aspect of our visit was learning about Adinkra symbols, which serve as a form of visual communication originating from the Ashanti people of Ghana. Each symbol carries a unique and profound meaning, often related to wisdom, spirituality, and human behavior. Adinkra symbols are integral to Ghanaian culture, appearing in textiles, logos, advertising, and various cultural artifacts. They offer insights into the values and beliefs of the Ashanti people, serving as a visual language that conveys complex ideas and principles.

Working with Adinkra symbols

We each had the opportunity to choose different Adinkra symbols to be artistically represented on a cloth. I selected “Akoma,” or the “heart,” symbolizing love, unity, and patience. This symbol resonates deeply with my reflections on the journey and my emotional connection with Ghana’s cultural landscape. The heart represents the core values of human experience and unity, aligning with the sentiments I’ve developed during my visit.

Our custom Kente cloth with chosen Adinkra symbols

Apart from this, we were also able to visit different markets in the city. One of the highlights of our trip was a visit to the Kejetia Market, which stands as one of the largest marketplaces in the world and is the biggest in West Africa, with over 10,000 stores and stalls. The market was a center of activity, bustling with large crowds, especially on the weekend. The atmosphere was a mix of chaos and vibrancy, but, at the same time, it showcased a range of cultural and traditional elements of Ghanaian culture. It was interesting to see how big the market was, and the range of goods available was truly fascinating.

We also visited a village known for its kente cloth production. It was amazing to see how this traditional Ghanaian fabric is made. The process is hard work filled with traditional practices, showing how dedicated the artisans are to keeping this important part of Ghanaian culture alive. Seeing how kente cloth is made was inspiring, as it highlights the deep respect for its cultural and historical significance.

Beautiful Ghanaian Kente cloth on display

Our visit to Kumasi was truly educational and fascinating. We got to see the city’s artistic talent and traditional crafts. The city’s deep history, especially related to the Ashanti people, provided a unique look into their cultural heritage. From the bustling markets to the intricate art of kente cloth weaving, every aspect of the city highlighted its dedication to celebrating its cultural roots.

The blend of modern and historic elements in Kumasi was a major point of interest for me. The lively, hustling and bustling culture combined with an important history made the city truly interesting. Seeing how Kumasi combines its past with the present makes me want to come back to this beautiful city and explore more.