I turned 21 somewhere over the Atlantic, and when the plane landed in Africa it was time to celebrate Ghanaian style. I wasn’t expecting much, because everyone had been traveling for almost 24 hours, but by the end of the day I could say that 21 was my most eventful birthday yet.

After arriving at the airport at 8:30 a.m., a group of us headed back to where we were staying to unpack and become comfortable in our new home for the next six weeks. As people’s flights slowly started trickling in, we eventually headed to the mall and grocery store to buy anything we may have forgotten to pack. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was a liquor store in the mall, and I made my first legal purchase of white wine there. Even though the drinking age in Ghana is 18, not 21, it was still a milestone for me.

After heading back home, everyone in the group headed down the street where there was a local market. We ended up stopping at a restaurant where we decided to try the local beer. In Ghana, there are two main beers: Club and Star. (Guinness is also widely available and popular.) I quickly learned that I am more of a Club kind of person, as it has a bit of a stronger taste.

Later that night, I was surprised with a cake made by a local bakery (pictured) that was decorated with red, yellow, green, and black flowers (Ghana’s colors). The cake had a unique taste to it, which we all decided could be best described as “flower flavor.” I also opened gifts, which turned out to be a brass lizard bottle opener and a statue of a woman reading, both made in Ghana.

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 4.52.59 PM

We ended the night by getting to know each other better and playing games. Despite jet-lag, becoming acclimated to the heat, and being on a new continent, it was an eventful day. It was definitely difficult being away from family and home for my birthday, but I can confidently say that it will be one that I’ll never forget.