When we arrived the kids were sitting in rows in little purple uniforms. My heart melted when I saw them all. When they started cheering after we came in, I started tearing up.  They were so happy and had such beautiful souls, despite the fact that they lived in poor conditions.

They sang and danced for us. Then they started pulling some of us up to dance with them. I was sad that I was not one of the people picked to dance, but after a little while a little girl came up and grabbed my hand to teach me the dance. I did not have nearly as good of rhythm or dancing skills as the kids but I still had so much fun.

Then we had to sing to them. We sang a call and repeat children’s song led by Derek. Then we all broke out into our rehearsed “Lean on Me,” which the teachers loved. But they loved it a little too much because they wanted us to sing more songs, which we were not prepared to do. We managed a shaky “Jingle Bell Rock” and “Don’t Stop Believing.”

Then an adorable little girl led me outside to play. She started talking to me in French but I had to ask her to speak to me in English. We played games with the kids that I had never heard of. They tried to teach me, but they were super confusing imaginary games, but I pretended like I knew the rules.

When the teachers announced to the kids that we had donated a few school supplies the girl next to me, who looked about 12 years old, wrapped her arms around me and hugged me so tight and would not let go. I could hear her quietly crying as she thanked me for the school supplies. My heart broke. The notebooks cost less than 5 dollars. An amount that I more than willingly spend on a latte at home without even thinking about it.

I was not sure if I should take pictures with the kids. I did not want anyone on social media thinking I am in Ghana helping children. I did not want to make myself look like some hero that I definitely am not. But the kids insisted that I take pictures with them, which I realized was more than okay. They all kept touching my hair and my tattoo, which they were amazed by.

This experience was very eye-opening. It was amazing to see what others’ lives are like who have less than I do. I have a new appreciation for the United States and for what I am lucky to have. It was so hard to say goodbye to the kids. I already miss them.

selfie resize
IMG_2381 kids resize