Before coming to Ghana, there were only a few things I worried about and questioned. The mosquitoes and spiders were top on my list. But I also thought about getting heat rashes and falling into the gutters. Most of my worries and questions were on the topic of health. Tuberculosis being airborne freaked out my mom, which then scared me. Less dramatic health concerns crossed my mind, would I be able to work out in Ghana? Staying fit and healthy has always been important in my life. Thankfully, many of my questions and concerns were answered at the Media in Ghana 2016 alumni meeting we had before our departure.

The students shared a few horror stories of falling into the gutters, breaking bones and getting sick from eating street foods but never anything too serious to worry about. The stories and advice shared were very helpful, even though I couldn’t fully understand all of their advice at the time, I understand it now. One common­­ piece of advice was, “pack a suitcase full of food and snacks.” Before I heard this advice, I definitely wasn’t planning on packing an extra suitcase full of food. But after hearing everyone emphasize packing food, I didn’t question it. The food I packed was meant to last me the first week in Ghana. I packed a lot of mac and cheese, protein bars, peanut butter, jelly, popcorn and coffee. I didn’t pack a huge variety of food because I expected to eat a variety of new foods in Ghana.

Little did I know, beans, chicken and rice are the most common foods served in Ghana and are found everywhere. After two weeks, I am not tired of eating the same kinds of food, I still enjoy eating the traditional fried rice and chicken. Fried rice and chicken is still one of my favorite foods. But no longer are mosquitoes and spider bites my biggest health fear. I am now concerned I am eating too much pasta and not eating enough vegetables.  My body does not feel as strong as normal because working out is not on the daily schedule. Yes, working out is possible in Ghana but the barriers feel bigger than the solution. The heat is one barrier but the roads are another. In Legon, where I am staying, the roads are a combination of pavement and dirt. Random holes, garbage and motorcycle drivers make going on a jog almost impossible. I have attempted to work out on my spare time doing resistant band workouts, push-ups and sit-ups in the house, but my workouts never last more than ten minutes because I get too hot.  Another health challenge I have is eating more vegetables. I have noticed the produce section in the shopping centers are little and throughout the different shopping centers, only a few produce items are being sold. Grapes, carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes and romaine lettuce are in the majority of the shopping centers but are very expensive to buy.

As an American who passionately loves to work out and eat healthy, I have accepted the barriers and challenges it takes to stay healthy while living in a foreign country. Working out and eating healthy is a global issue, and in each country cultures stay healthy differently. In Ghana it is just a little harder for me to do than it is back home.