Last weekend we spent two nights in Kumasi. It took us about 6 hours to get there by bus. I am thankful that we had Sunny with us for the weekend, our tour guide and DJ. Over the course of the two days there, we got a bus tour of the city with commentary on its cultural history, visited a kenti weaving shop, and toured the Kings palace, learning about his role in Ghanaian society. I found it interesting that there is a president of Ghana alongside the King, and whenever they meet; it is the President who bows down before the King.

The last part of our weekend and arguably one of my favorite days in Ghana thus far was when we walked through a local street market in Kumasi. Sunny warned us before walking in that this market is not where tourists usually venture. He warned us of the harsh smells that would hit us when passing through the meat market. He laughed and said, “Some of you might come out of this a vegetarian.”

His warnings were just, the smells were harsh and the place was packed with people, but I loved every second of it. There is something about being in the middle of something busy that I can’t get enough of. I think it has to do with being raised in a big city like Los Angeles.

Many of the Ghanaian’s were friendly to us as we walked by, asking, “Obroni Obroni, where do you come from?” Many smiled and introduced their names, asking for ours in exchange and chuckling at our attempts to speak Twi with them. The babies in the market would all stop and stare at our group as we passed, seemingly shocked by our presence.

I can’t help but notice how much we stand out here. I have never felt so watched before. When I’m at home I blend in with the crowds as I walk through the city. This outsider persona has been consistent throughout all of my experiences in Ghana. There have been many occasions in my life where I have felt a little out place, but never for as long as our trip is extended. I have grown to love this new role of mine, as it pushes me to think differently about the way we as humans interact with each other and what my presence means to others.