I’ve been back in the U.S. for a day now and am already missing aspects of Ghana; I find myself having to remember the differences of the country I had gotten so used to do not typically pertain to mine. Some things I miss are as follows:

1. You cannot hiss to get someone’s attention. At a family lunch I found myself trying to get my mother’s attention from across the table and my first instinct was to hiss, like the Ghanaians constantly do. Although strange to a foreigner at first, the impact this made on getting attention was quite efficient!
  2. The traffic is too smooth here. I am surprised to say it, but I miss the hustle and bustle and craze of the streets in Ghana! I started to find comfort in bumpy rides, quick, spastic jolts and brakes, and the loud sounds of horns. Here, the streets are quiet in comparison and the rides are smooth and boring.
  3. Where’s the Red Red?? It took me five weeks to start liking the Ghanaian food, but in that sixth week I was shoveling down Red Red beans and fried plantain like there was no tomorrow. I already miss the food and find myself craving those dense, spice-enriched meals.
  4. Why doesn’t everyone finish a handshake with a snap? When I first saw how Ghanaians greet each other, I was pleasantly surprised. Each handshake smoothly concluded with a snapping of one person’s finger off the other. It is something that would have to be demonstrated in order to fully understand, but the effect is smooth and impressive. It makes all greetings more personal and friendly, and I find myself attempting it here out of habit!

Many aspects of Ghana were of great influence to me, but above all was the faith and family culture. Everything tied back to family, God, and their willingness to learn from others and always be together. Through this experience I was able to learn a lot about myself and these ideas have inspired me for future writing, dance pieces, and general life lessons. I am going to miss a lot about Ghana, but I am happy to be home to share these experiences with my friends and family. One day I will be back, Ghana, and in the meantime you will be my muse!