Thinking before Leaving, by Carlos McCarter

I honestly can’t believe we depart for Ghana in a little under a month. It’s slowly beginning to sink in as I start tying up loose ends. It feels surreal because you hear how this trip has been transformative for so many people who have gone, and it makes you sit back in your chair and think, “How did I get this opportunity?” I was raised that you don’t question certain things, and this would fall into that category. Yet, I’ve definitely pinched myself to make sure I wasn’t just going through the motions in a very vivid dream only to wake up and realize none of it was real.

Over the past few weeks, I’ve found myself researching Ghanaian music artists to help familiarize myself with their current music scene. It’s so interesting to hear their sound, look at their style of dress, everything that constitutes their artistic style. Another idea that has recently come to mind is recreation. I’m curious to find out, outside of what we call soccer, what other sports are popular in Ghana? It seems silly, but I wonder if anyone there actually plays the game of basketball, baseball or even tennis. Being that I enjoy hooping, it would be cool to see how the universality of the game transcends language.

And who can forget about the food? After listening to last year’s cohort, I’m eating all of my rice and chicken now so that I can experience the different dishes prepared there. I think I’ll need to pack a second stomach in my second luggage. I wonder if they have Postmates there. I’m probably asking for too much, aren’t I? Hey, what can I say? I love eating.

Overall, I am excited to learn how to navigate a place that is foreign to me yet has such cultural history tied to our country and notable pillars in the African American community as well as the amazing woman who has blessed all of us with the opportunity to embark upon this study abroad journey.

« »