I’m not deserving. It’s as simple as that. I’ve only been in Accra for three days, and I’m learning with every passing moment that my professors were spot on in saying that Ghana is a life-altering experience. Accra is a beautiful city, from its luscious, green countryside to the many attractions it offers. There is also beauty within the hardships Ghanaians face due to flaws in infrastructure as they are riddled with sewage problems and abundant trash littering streets, parts of the ocean, but most shockingly, in the markets. The beauty resides in the fact that the many vendors found throughout the market continue to show up daily to sell their goods despite these unfortunate and unsanitary conditions. What impressed me most was how they all seemed to be in such high spirits and with amazing attitudes. I can not say definitively that I would be the same if I was in their shoes. Thus, witnessing these unique variables of Accra causes one to look at the city in awe while also looking introspectively at oneself. 

Today, I had the pleasure of touring Aburi Botanical Gardens which is located north of Accra in the Akuapem mountains. Afterward, I walked through a local woodcarver’s market with several classmates and witnessed some of the finest artistry I’ve seen to date. I’ll tell you one thing. If I can be a tenth of a percent as persistent in working towards my dream as the artists were in trying to convince us to buy their goods, there is a possibility I’ll achieve a little success. The one common denominator in both our tour at the botanical gardens and the market was the hospitality. Of course, that at the market could have solely been obligatory as to encourage us to buy their products, which if so, I wouldn’t blame them in the least. 

This kindness spilled over into a football watch party that afternoon as Ghana’s national team played Guinea-Bissau in a match of the Africa Cup of Nations. Several of my classmates and I went to Net-2 TV to watch the match. They placed a large screen outside of the network’s building to broadcast the game. I don’t have an official count of the number of Ghanaians in attendance, but I’m going to say in the ballpark of several hundred. What we witnessed from those who interacted with us, and those who weren’t close enough to do so, was a hospitable people, passionate people, people of humility and exuberance for the one thing the country stops for- it’s beloved Black Stars. The manner in which we obruni’s were treated, from the free popcorn and soda to a gift bag and shout-out from the commentators calling the game is something of tales to be shared back in the states with our many loved ones and friends.

I still don’t feel deserving of what I’ve experienced today.