Today we had the amazing opportunity to visit the Anani Memorial International School
in Nima, a town that is known to be a little bit poorer compared to other towns and
cities in Ghana. Nima is also famous for its huge market, Nima Market, where I hope to
visit again to purchase crafts and goods for my friends and family back home.

We were guided by the school’s principal and teachers to walk along to what seemed like
a narrow maze to get to the school. After hopping over some gutters and avoiding
puddles, I started to hear the little voices of these Ghanaian children. I immediately got
emotional and tears came falling down my eyes. I honestly can’t put into words what
exactly I was feeling but a lot of it stems from my work with children back home. I teach
children how to dance Hula and Tahitian. Seeing them grow before my eyes is one of the
greatest gifts and when I looked at these children, I felt so much hope and joy for their
future and the many things that they will accomplish. I have to admit; I was also in awe
of the little ones and how adorable they were.

These students are well-rounded and talented. We learned that all of these students are
fluent in English and French. We can also assume that they are trilingual as they speak
in their local language at home with their families. Some of them performed various
songs and dances for us as a welcome gift and we gifted them a performance of three
songs: Bantama Kakro (a song that some of us learned in the Twi Class), Itsy Bitsy
Spider, and You Are My Sunshine. I think their performances were way better than
ours.

After, we had the chance to interact with the kids. It is no exaggeration to say that we
were swarmed with their love. There were plenty of hands to hold, hugs to give, and
pictures to take.

It was an honor to visit this school and meet these children. I didn’t want to leave! I’m
very grateful for this humbling experience and it is the highlight of my first week in
Ghana. I look forward to what is to come in the short time I have here.