We have hit week 6 of the program and it has been one of the shortest-longest trips of my life. I have been ultimately been reflecting on these past six weeks and how much we have overcome as a group. Throughout all the ups and downs, it’s crazy how things happen for a reason. I have been very grateful for these past six weeks for letting me experience and learn from all the events that I have been placed in. If it wasn’t for the amazing people in my cohort and within my internship, it truly would not have been the same. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience in this beautiful country; where the people are so welcoming and the liveliness of the streets is at all hours of the day.

For our last weekend trip, we headed to Kumasi which is in the Northern region. Kumasi is known for the Ashanti tribe and people. We got to experience the very interesting history of the Ashanti Kings and Queens that have ruled. We were able to tour the Manhyia Palace Museum which was the home to previous Ashanti royalty. It was exciting to see all the historical artifacts and mementos that surrounded the museum with all of its richness. I was amazed by the traditions that the Ashanti’s have and how in tune they are with the family. I highly respected that the women play a pivotal role among Ashanti’s despite the men seeming to have slightly more control in the end. I thought it was interesting that they have chosen their successor based on bloodline and not by marriage. So for example, the Queen could be a mother and the King could be her son. Also, the golden stool as a symbolic feature of their culture was very fascinating to hear about, along with the history against the British and how they were able to overcome them with dignity. We were able to go to a craft market/center that has local student artists selling their artwork. I was amazed to see some students hard at work with their easels, paint, and canvases. I loved a piece of artwork so much that I bought a painting that really resonated with me. I felt great with my purchase and even better about it due to the fact that a student painted it, and I am all for supporting student artists.

Our Saturday morning and afternoon consisted of a very exciting trip to visit craft villages for Kente and Adinkra fabrics. We first went to Bonwire which has been said to be the first place to ever create Kente. We approached this wooden like factory with a bunch of people selling trinkets outside. The factory on the inside was slightly dark but was surrounded by beautiful and colorful pieces of Kente. I was amazed as we were greeted with a demonstration as a man was working on the Kente weaving right in front of us. I was so impressed by the way he was maneuvering at such a fast pace with such precision. I had an intuition to purchase one as many of my friends did as well. It so beautiful that you have too. We spoke with some of the sellers as they told us that some pieces took three weeks to make one single Kente. As we left the factory, we headed to the stamped Kente with Adinkra symbols. We were given demonstrations on how the stamps were made and the ink that was used to stamp them. It was really neat to see the whole process as we even got to help by stomping on some tree bark. We gathered to watch the ink be processed and even got to pick our own Adinkra symbol to put on a strip of Kente. We were given the meanings of each of the symbols we picked and got to stamp it ourselves which was pretty awesome as we all got to partake in it.

My favorite part of the weekend and one of the highlights of the trip was getting to experience the Kejetia market. The Kejetia market is the second largest in Sub-Saharan Africa and the third largest in the world. It was definitely not a tourist market to what I am used too, but it was great to walk through and experience all my senses coming alive. I was seeing so many people walking through trying to get by as I was focusing on not tripping or running over anyone. I was smelling a different array of scents which included fish, meat, and spices. I was hearing so many compliments yet distinct descriptions of my ethnic background as they were calling out for my attention. That also made me unpack the fact that I have not had a bad experience with Ghanaians as they have all been so nice and welcoming. I am definitely having mixed feelings this last week as I couldn’t have asked for a better experience here in Ghana with my internship and with the people I have encountered.