To Sum Up, by Hi’ilani Nguyen-Acosta

I still remember the first conversation I had with my mom about applying to the Media in Ghana program. It was November, and the priority deadline for the application was due mid-January. My decision to apply was spontaneous and unplanned but ended up being very rewarding. Here’s why.

Long-Lasting Relationships

A quick selfie during our bus ride to Kumasi.
These are the three Madi/Maddies on the trip! This is the reason why they call me Hi’ilani. We needed more nicknames to distinguish ourselves! From left to right: Hi’ilani (Madi), Mads, and Maddie!
Me, Nicole, and Mercedes at Wli Falls.

I underestimated the power of how six weeks in Ghana can bring a group of people together. During this trip, I bonded with many of my peers over food, music, and interests. One of the challenges of studying abroad with a huge group can be personalities clashing. However, this wasn’t the biggest problem we’ve faced together. This group has gone through literal blood, sweat, and tears to create memories that will last a lifetime. I will never forget the laughs I shared with my “Ghana Gorls,” (Nicole, Mercedes, and Maddie) the food I tasted with Kevin, and the comforting presence of Carlos. A bumpy bus ride isn’t the same without the guys’ complaints about legroom and our trips would not have been nearly as organized without our “mom” Ph.D. students. This is a group of individuals I will never forget; I look forward to catching up with everyone in the fall. 

Practicing PR Abroad

What pushed me to apply for the Media in Ghana program was the opportunity to intern abroad. There is something extremely satisfying about applying your knowledge from books in real life. The real satisfaction for me is that I know my tuition and degree is worth the money! Some of the trails I’ve faced during my internship are cultural differences and understanding my position as an intern. I am so thankful that my coworkers were so welcoming to me by showing me around Accra and its yummy dishes. (I will not stop talking about food.) I shared many conversations with them about President Trump, religion, and more—all subjects that are somewhat difficult to speak about abroad. I often found myself in fear that my American perspective would make them unhappy with me but that was never the case. Ghanaians have shown me that it is possible to accept these differences yet still live harmoniously.

There were several occasions where I was torn between giving feedback or holding my tongue simply because I’m “just an intern.” However, I had to remember the things I learned prior to coming here–mainly the fact that Public Relations is still growing in Ghana. It exists, but it’s not strong. This fact made me feel more valid about my own opinions and unafraid to share them. I learned quickly that to my colleagues, I was an expert. They could not tell me that I was wrong, and it was empowering. Of course, things like this in America are much touchier. However, this experience, along with putting my PR knowledge to practice was valuable and unique because I am abroad.

These are the women in the office who made settling in so easy and fun.
These are some of the pages from the first Communication Audit I produced for XpressGas.
Another deliverable that I provided for XpressGas was a Social Media Strategy for their perspective communications team.

Personal Growth

I took this picture right after we got to stamp Adinkra symbols onto Kente cloth ourselves! The colors and prints are so beautiful and vibrant.

We all know that studying abroad looks great on our LinkedIn accounts and resumés. This sounds like a big asset and reason to study abroad. However, in my opinion, the biggest reward is personal growth. Yes, we are here to learn about Journalism and Communication and the Ghanaian culture. You may not know it, but you’re also here for more than just that. Being abroad has taught me a lot about myself and helped me improve some of the things that I always wanted to better myself at, the first one being patience.

I’ve always been fairly flexible in group situations but something that I lack for others is patience. There were many times where I admit, my patience was tested. It ended up helping me for the better and taught me how to deal with others through basic mindfulness. Being in a diverse group helped me better my skills of being mindful of other peoples’ lifestyle, beliefs, and choices. I’m proud that I got to improve these two qualities about myself and more.

To sum up, studying abroad teaches you a lot. And that, is an understatement.  Here I am now, in the last week of our trip. I don’t regret my decision to apply at all.

« »