Kumasi Through My Eyes, by Maddie Knight

Photo 1: On our last weekend trip, we visited the third largest open-air market in the world, located in Kumasi. I chose to not pull out my camera inside the market, as I wanted to take in all the vibrant sights, smells and sounds without having to focus on taking photos. It then started pouring rain, furthering my decision to leave my camera in my backpack. As I got settled onto the bus, I pulled out my camera and started capturing images I was unable to stop and take inside the market. This woman I photographed stood out to me in particular. She seemed to be so calm and at peace in the center of chaos. I saw her for only a few seconds, but I’m so glad I was able to capture this image.

Photo 2: As I was walking through the crowded Kentai craft market in Kumasi, I passed a woman buying a strip of Kente cloth from one of the sellers. I looked past the exchange and saw a young boy looking through the gated window looking directly at me. I didn’t have time to pull out my camera to capture this moment, so I quickly pulled out my phone and snapped this photo.

Photo 3: In the Kantai craft market, I took my camera out after taking some iPhone photos. The sun shined through the fenced windows reflected onto the vibrant cloth so beautifully. It was amazing to learn and see how the cloth is actually made.

Photo 4: A peacock sitting on the ledge of the Manhyia Palace Museum, the home of previous Ashanti Kings.

Photo 5: On our way back from Kumasi, we stopped at Bosomtwe Lake for a guided boat ride around and the opportunity to jump off the boat and swim back to shore. Our boat guide led the way sitting at the tip of the boat.

Photo 6: A trunk of wood with a small plant growing out of the top on Bosomtwe Lake.

Photo 7: Donny Morrison floating around Bosomtwe Lake.

« »