Home and Grateful, by Nicole Lee

It’s been a week since I left Ghana and it’s been very bittersweet. For these past seven days, I have been reflecting on my six weeks in one of the most beautiful countries I have ever visited. As I conclude this last “required” blog post, I want this to come straight from the heart.  I have huge admiration for the program, the trip, and, of course, my favorite is the people.

Being on this trip was one of the best decisions that I could have made as a student at the University of Oregon. I was very skeptical at first, as I did not know what to expect, but what ultimately persuaded me was that I wanted to step outside of my comfort zone. I was thrilled to hear the news that I got accepted into the program and was intrigued to know who the other students would be. Little did I know on the first day of class during spring term that the 20 of us in that room would be so close by the end of the program. I remember walking into the classroom in Allen not really sure who everyone was and still trying to figure each other out. That awkward first-day-vibe in the room was alive and well, and it felt odd to think that all of us would be stuck with each other for six weeks together under one roof for the summer.

But as we fast forward to present day, it is truly amazing to me to see how everything has evolved. I did not realize that the dynamic bond among us would end up so incredibly strong. I gained 19 new friends and a unique relationship with each of them. That is something I was not expecting and it is one of the best feelings to have. All of the situations that we were placed in made us stronger together and for that, I wouldn’t have changed anything. We all made amazing memories together, from the weekend trips to just hanging out altogether in the living rooms. We all bonded in a way that felt like home while we were abroad. We were there for each other during some difficult times and supported one another during the ups and downs when we needed it.

What I ultimately got out of this trip were friendships that will hopefully last a long time, some that I will, fortunately, continue to experience while attending the University of Oregon and others that will be more at a distance. I am grateful for such a great internship experience at Insel. I gained so much insight about culture, advertising, and new perspectives. I felt like I was a part of the family for that short amount of time that I was there and now have great bonds with my work colleagues too. From being in a television commercial to attending client meetings to having an opinion on campaigns. I gained a lot from my experience and the people that I worked with.

I couldn’t have asked for a better experience than being a part of the Media in Ghana program. I thank Leslie, Senyo, Shuo, my supervisors at Insel, and the people that I have met while being in Ghana for everything. I truly have no more words to describe how humbling and amazing this experience was.

As I arrived home in the San Francisco Bay Area Friday night from London, I was thrilled to see my family. They were excited to hear about my experience and all the stories that I had to tell them about Ghana: its culture, food, and my internship experience. They were extremely excited to hear about all the positive comments that I had about the trip. I am so grateful for this opportunity, the insights that I have gained, and my new and strong community of friends. I cannot wait to encourage others in the SOJC who are interested in the program to give them my advice, opinions, experiences, and tips.

« »