The bumpy and rough roads from Accra to the Volta Region were quite unforgiving. According to our tour guide, the area was one of the most neglected regions in the country due to its loyalty to the opposition. Mmmh! That narrative sounded so familiar. It’s the same in Kenya and other parts of Africa too. Development is always at the pleasure of the Government of the day, but that’s a story for another day.

‘One man’s poison is another man’s medicine’ so they say. While I was wondering about the state of the roads, the rest of my colleagues were all in slumberland. “How do they still manage to snore so loudly in the bus in this deplorable state of roads,” I muttered. Personally, I rarely sleep on flights and vehicles. I don’t even sleep much anyways. I bet when the biblical trumpet will be sounded, the angels will find me awake. Hopefully, they’ll ask me to help carry their trumpet and finally have mercy on me.

My only consolation on this day were some of the numerous tales I had heard about the scenic and breathtaking beauty of the region which lies on the easternmost part of Ghana, an area mostly inhabited by the Ewe tribe. After a five-and-a-half-hour drive, we finally arrived at the Agumatsa wildlife sanctuary, located in the Hohoe municipality. On my way to the Sanctuary, I had seen from a far a sight that looked exactly like the Manawaiopuna Falls in Hawaii. The falls, popularly referred to as Jurassic Falls, is featured in Steven Spielberg’s 1993 blockbuster film Jurassic Park. The only difference this time around was that we were neither in the Hawaiian Islands nor in a dark movie theater staring at a fictional film
while dipping our fingers in a bag full of tasteless popcorn. We were in the middle of nowhere. Just a few meters from the border between Ghana and Togo. “There goes the jewel. Looks like it’s going to be worth it,” I thought quietly.

We alighted from the bus and took another 30-minute tiring but gorgeous hike deep inside the forest. The trees swayed to and fro, dancing in the wind as we walked side by side. Our guide, Jonathan, appeared to be in his early 70’s but one would easily think he was 40 years younger, judging by his flexibility. I couldn’t keep up with his pace. The millet porridge and bofrot (Ghanaian doughnut) that I had eaten along the way made my stomach stretched and uncomfortable. I soldiered on while occasionally staring at the kaleidoscope of butterflies flying around the various species of trees. We crossed the nine makeshift foot bridges over the Agumatsa River. And as we drew closer, I could hear the thundering sound of the waterfall.

A narrow path led us to a wooden bridge and after crossing it, we were finally rewarded with the scenes of one of the most majestic and breathtaking waterfalls I had ever seen in my travels. The spectacular, surreal and hypnotic waterfall stood right in front of us, a powerful sight to behold and a geological wonder. It looked
like the ‘promised land.’ “Maybe, this is the garden of Eden,” I whispered in Jahlysa’s ears. I
don’t think she heard me. Her head was fixed at an angle of about 180 degrees. Her jaws dropped. I didn’t blame her. It was indeed quite a sight to behold.

Wli Waterfall takes the bragging rights for the highest free-falling waterfall in West Africa, at
approximately 472 feet high from the Upper Fall to the plunge below it. The dazzling view that stood in front of us was only the lower section of the Fall. What I had seen on my way was the upper section which can only be seen either from a distance or through hiking for a couple of hours. No hiking for me today. So, I wasted no time plunging my body into the cold and refreshing waters. It was worth it. I could do this every day honestly. I wish I lived here.

If you are reading this right now, a dazzling view awaits you, with the large colony of bats
clinging on to the mesmerizing waterfall’s cliffs ready to welcome your presence. The free-
spirited ones fly in the skys offering a stark reminder to always spread your wings and reach to the skys, or plan a trip to the land of the ‘Black Stars,’ Ghana!