By Ke’ali McCarter

The Thinker
Me and the other members of the program have learn to grow accustomed to the increased attention that we receive as foreigners in a country with very little tourism. Many people stair, others point, while some laugh and shout Obroni the Twi word for white person or foreigner. In such a an occasion, I captured this boy contemplatively observing the group as we entered Kumasi market.

The Weaver

Kumasi is the birth place of kente cloth, a hand-woven fabric that the city is internationally famous for. I took this photo of one of the weavers working on a triple weave stretch of fabric. The speed that he worked at was astounding so I left my shutter speed a little slow to capture the motion blur.

The Kid and The Candy

Outside of the kente cloth shop, many children gathered around looking at us with timid yet curious glances. But soon, they were dancing and eating candy that members of our group brought. I was able to capture one of the kids taking a very animated bite of one of the candies. I love the juxtaposition of the aggressive action during a sweet moment.