Yesterday, we got back from our trip to the Volta Region. The best way to describe the trip is “wet”. On Friday, we hiked to the Wli Waterfalls where we paused to swim, take in the visual splendor, and brave the inexplicable force of water beating down on us as we attempted to walk under the falls. Luckily, I swam in with our beloved friend and ‘chaperone’ Sonny. His encouraging words and willingness to endure my white-knuckled death grip to his hand led to me successfully reaching the wall of the falls. Despite the razor sharp water pelting all of us, it was honestly one of the most exhilarating things I have ever done.

After we had gotten our fill of floating, taking waterfall pictures, and avoiding our predatory tour guide Charles, the group started to head back towards the bus. The main group took off while Kendra, Will, and I stayed back while Emily P. tied her shoes. The others must have been eager to get back to the bus because the next thing we knew, they were nowhere in sight. Then the fun really began.

We had started walking back towards the bus when, almost instantaneously, rain started POURING down. This was the heaviest rain I have ever experienced. It was coming down in sheets. The four of us picked up our pace while trying to not slide through the freshly rehydrated forest mud. About halfway back, we ran into Jacob who waved us into a beautiful garden oasis with a covered porch area. We found the rest of our group huddled under the thatched palapa, packed like sardines to avoid the dramatic showers. Being that I was already completely soaked, I stayed out in the garden to enjoy the lush foliage that I have been missing while living in Accra.

After waiting for the rain to subside, we realized there was no end to it in sight. I completed my little rain dance, then we all began the final journey back to the bus. Thoroughly soaked and a little bit delirious from the surreal experience, we drove away from the Wli Waterfalls towards our hotel.

I’ll never forget Wli and all of its wet wonders.