Take a walk around the streets of Accra, and you will easily spot the handwoven strips of
silk and cotton cloth popularly referred to as ‘Kente’ either being sold on the side of the road or donned by various Ghanaians with pride and swagger. Its origin remains contested, depending on who you ask. Though most people believe it originated from the Asante weavers, others argue that the word Kente is a corruption of the word ‘kete’ from the Ewe tribe, which means handwoven clothes. They further claim it was the Ewe slaves under captivity who taught the Ashanti how to weave right after the Asante wars.

Kente has become popular not only in Ghana, but throughout the African continent and
beyond in the diaspora. Those in the African diaspora don the attire in times of weddings,
funerals and other important occasions. During graduations, part of the regalia is easily
recognizable among African diaspora students, perhaps symbolizing the African quest for
knowledge, wisdom, success, creativity and vintage celebrations.

My interactions with various Ghanaians revealed that the cloth had different meanings
and significance to different Ghanaians. To Bright Awuni, our tour guide during some parts of
our trip, the attire serves as a symbol of identity and prestige in his own personal life.
“It actually identifies me as an Ashanti, but it’s also something that adds value to your
closet because it’s something of high value and prestige,” said Bright who’s also an Ashanti
native living in Accra.

While Kente was traditionally reserved for kings and chiefs. It has become accessible to anyone. The Asantehene (Ashanti King) always puts it on when addressing various gatherings or attending important community functions. Special geometric patterns are reserved for the
Asantehene exclusively. To some, Kente is a treasured asset that should be passed on from one generation to the next. Others, however, might keep it as an asset but also may be willing sell it to the highest bidder, especially locals and tourists who will pay as much as they can afford, to not only appreciate its artistic value, but also reward the hard work and dedication of those behind its creation.

While Kente may be widely popular, it isn’t worn by everyone who comes from the
Ashanti region or even Ghana for that matter. A local who requested anonymity said, “I don’t
like wearing it because I’m not comfortable with the way it’s put on by exposing some parts of
the body.” Some are also “scared that they would wear it in a way that the Ashantis would consider not of their own way.” Some also insisted that it made movement a bit difficult, while another local resident said she would rather “use it to decorate a shirt but not wear it as a full piece.”

Professor Eric Adae, Assistant Professor of Public Relations at Drake University and a Ghanaian native, notes that Kente attire “epitomizes the creativity, beauty, hard work, intelligence, patience, meticulousness, and the can-do spirit of Africans. These attributes of Africans are all brought together in the long and intricate hand-weaving process of making Kente.”

Personally, I fell in love with the cloth at a young age while watching West African
movies and always promised myself that I would one day acquire a piece. I therefore thought it would be a sin to come to the Kente ‘capital of the world,’ owing to its roots in Bonwire town
within Ghana’s Ashanti Region, without getting one.

Thanks to the Media in Ghana trip and Professor Leslie Steeves’ connection, I finally
acquired one from Lawrence Delali Awuah who works as a manager at the Art Center’s Craft
Shop. His shop helps talented individuals who do not have a shop to sell their products. They
take 20% commission and refund 80% at the end of the month.

My friends insist that I rock Kente so well that I have started to believe I might be the
long-lost King’s son who fled from his Kingdom in West Africa and relocated to East Africa in
protest. Of course, that is a made-up story! But hey! Get yourself one and make up something
too.