By Monica Hobbs

On a free day, I decided to set out on my own little adventure in Accra. And let me say that it was quite the journey! After sleeping in, (I wake up at 6 a.m. every day for work mind you) I got ready for the day. My outfit of choice: jean shorts, a grey tank top, white sneakers, and my hair pinned up in a clip. A staple. I left the apartment around 1 p.m. My first destination? Accra Zoo.

Once we reached what I thought to be the “entrance,” the Uber drove me down a long dirt road, about a mile. After many bumps and steer-clears of flooding, I reached the official gate to the zoo. I was planning on just buying a ticket and wandering around. Yet the cashier told me, “For your safety, we will get you a personal tour guide.” Not sure what that implied, but I’ll take the bonus tour! My tour guide, Raymond, greeted me and began leading us throughout the zoo. I saw many familiar animals, like zebras and lions, and then others I’d never heard of. Apparently, there are 91 species of Antelope. Mind-boggling. What freaked me out the most was the monkeys running around. Only the ones that weren’t native were in enclosures. The others were free to run rampant.

I thoroughly enjoyed the tour, but leaving was the difficult part. Since the Accra Zoo is deep in a forest, no Ubers want to make the trip in. I tried to keep my cool and not panic even though I was technically stranded. Seeing that I was having trouble, the workers offered to drive me to the front entrance. I hopped in the sexiest ride I’ve ever seen: a zoo-looking golfcart with a motorcycle in the front. When we reached the other side, I called an Uber. My next destination? The Makola Market.

Some context—Makola is the largest market in all of Accra. I hopped out of the uber and began navigating through the market. Being alone this time was a lot more intimidating. However, I maintained my composure and carried on. I came across a young man named Muller; an 18-year-old Nigerian who moved to Ghana to work. At first, he kept trying to sell me a pair a jeans. It was wildly annoying. But I also needed some input as I looked to buy a pair of sneakers. “If you help me find a cool pair of shoes, I’ll go to your jeans stand,” I said. “Deal,” he responded. After being indecisive and extremely picky, I settled on a colorful pair of airforces for 300 cedis (around $30).

We then set off to his shop. Muller worked with a few other young men that he lived with. They all swarmed the second I arrived, eagerly showing many pairs of jeans and cargos. Once again, I was very selective. Those are too skinny. I don’t like how those flare at the bottom. I want them to be a little more low-waisted. Those are way out of style. “Aye girl, you’re so picky,” they laughed. I eventually decided on two wide-legs jeans for 200 cedis ($20). A little pricier than I prefer but I saw it as a thank you. Muller then lead me out of Makola and waited for my uber to arrive. A very kind gesture. All in all, I would say it was a successful adventure.