By Monica Hobbs

After returning back to the States, I’ve had time to reflect on my time in Ghana. One aspect that I’ve looked back on the most was my internship at GHOne TV News. I’m truly grateful for such an enriching opportunity, where I grew as a journalist and learned the ins and outs of local news. But in all honestly, I was most impacted by the inspiring women I worked with in the newsroom.
Being a woman in such a male-dominated work field can be very intimidating. At times in Ghana, I felt very small as a woman, whether it was sexual harassment or being talked down to. Yet the thing that kept me pushing through was seeing how powerful my women coworkers were.
Our general manager, Nana Aba, was the most badass, admirable woman I had ever meet. Towards the beginning of my internship, she called me into her office. I was a bit nervous, let me tell you. She sat me down and asked about my story and what I hoped to accomplish in my time in Ghana. My nickname was “Oregon.” Nana Aba then told me what it means to be a woman in the newsroom. And as you can guess, it left quite an effect on me. She said that as women, we must always speak out in a crowded room. To voice your opinion. To be the next step ahead of your male counterparts. Because if we choose to stay silent, no one will ever ask. No one will give you the next assignment. No one will expect more. She said as women in journalism, we must keep putting our foot in the door. We have a different perspective to bring to the newsroom.
Thank you to Ghana for allowing me to step into my femininity as a journalist. Just like all identities, they all bring something different to journalism. And it took time and observation for me to realize what I bring to the newsroom.