By Karis Frazier

After being in Ghana for five weeks now, I have learned that dancing is a huge part of the culture. I love that anywhere you go in Ghana, in whatever circumstance, you can find common ground with people through dancing.
The first time I really understood how much dancing was a part of Ghana was in the first week. We were in Cape Coast for a couple of days and stayed at a hotel on the beach. One afternoon I was eating my lunch on the beach looking out on the water when some kids came up to me. We started talking and introduced ourselves. After a few minutes, I wasn’t sure where to draw the conversation, so I asked them what their favorite music was. I played it from my phone and then they asked me if I could dance. We started dancing and they taught me the moves to their favorite songs. It was incredibly surreal dancing with these kids on the coast.
During the next four weeks, I encountered several more encounters like that one. Dancing became an instant connection with strangers. Growing up in the U.S. that is something I am not used to at all, but I am so excited to take part in here in Ghana.