By McKenzie Days

I wake up to a call at 7 a.m. from my coworker who surprises me with a new assignment. She informs me to go to a specific location and says she will meet me there. I start to hurry to get ready. 

Sitting in a crowded room with red and blue balloons and streamers all around me, I wait for the arrival of NPP Member Kwabena Agyei Agyapong at The Silicon House. 

Similar to the U.S., Ghana has an election arising in 2024. Kwabena Agyei Agyapong, a Ghanaian civil engineer and politician, decided to officially kickstart his campaign for the 2024 election. 

In his speech, he called upon the “collective task of all genders, all faiths, all backgrounds, every single ethnic group in the country, peasants, workers, bosses” to “step up to the challenge.” 

He emphasized balancing Ghana’s national budget; he mentioned budget deficits, over-spending and excessive materialism. Particularly, he mentioned, “cutting waste in the public sector by ensuring value for money in public procurement.” He said he will, “draw heavily on his considerable engineering background to facilitate the freeing up of vital resources.” 

He also stressed how Ghana needs “leadership regeneration” and how “one needs to lead by example for change.”