By Monica Hobbs

For one of my big projects at my internship, I did a story about renewable energy in Ghana. Like the rest of the world, the Ghanaian government has developed a plan to transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy. Yet the transition framework isn’t only about preserving the environment. Ghana has a high energy demand increasing at an annual rate of 10.3%. Many rural areas lack access to energy and electricity. Renewable energy is predicted to be more sustainable and close the energy gap.

Throughout the few weeks it took me to carry out the story, I conducted numerous interviews. I talked to three energy experts about their perspective on the transition framework. I then interviewed random civilians about what they knew about renewable energy and how they’ve seen it implemented in their communities. I was purposeful in who I chose to interview. I wanted to demonstrate the lack of education on renewable energy in Ghanaian society. In the editing process, I was given the opportunity to record a voiceover and film a stand-up to the camera.

Overall, I think my renewable energy story was successful. I was able to grow as a journalist in multiple aspects and engage with the community. Climate change and renewable energy is a big topic across the world, so learning about the role it plays in Ghana was interesting. Besides, being on national television is always a bonus 😉