By Kiasia Baggenstos

I sit in disbelief knowing that we have made it to our last week in Ghana, with a few days left to spare. I am bittersweet as I will be happy to be home to see my family but saddened by the fact that there will be no more opportunities to do things like eat fresh mangoes from the street markets, order jollof rice with every meal and eat fufu with light soup.

When I walk into my local Safeway, I will no longer see a Mango aisle, I will no longer see mozzarella cheese as the only cheese option, I will no longer see prices in the currency of Ghanian cedis, and I will no longer see a ShopRite grocery cart.

I have gotten used to the norms of living in Accra as a local so I know that it will be an adjustment trying to get back to the basics as an African-American.

After being in Accra for six weeks my perspectives have changed on a lot of things that I did not really think about before I came on this trip. People in Accra experience different adversities on a daily basis than people in Oregon. Citizens here are underpaid at their jobs and can barely make a living with what they have, yet still remain friendly and ready to take on the day. They smile and show kindness regardless of what life throws at them. I have never appreciated kindness so much since being in Accra.

I wish Americans shared the same appreciation for life and remained kind throughout adversities we all face, life would be a lot different. Thank you, Accra for showing me another side to living a life with purpose.