Some of my favorite photos from our time in Ghana.

Photo 1: Aburi Botanical Gardens. Our second day in Accra; a lifetime ago it seems. The city still felt foreign, the beauty was still new, and my friends were still strangers. Oh, how people and places have seemed to change so much in a mere six weeks when they haven’t really changed at all – I have.
Photo 2: Kakum Canopy Walk in the Kakum National Park. This was during our first weekend trip to Cape Coast and Elmina. An exciting experience for some; a frightening experience for others. Either way, an amazing experience led by an amazing guide. “I SURVIVED THE WALKWAY.”
Photo 3: Cape Coast Slave Castle. An eye-opening, heart-wrenching experience that I will truly never forget. I feel lucky that I was able to experience it with such an amazing, diverse group of people. From the edge of the castle, I looked toward the ocean, where there is no evidence of the lives that were destroyed in the past. Just children playing in the ocean; evidence of the lives that prevail. Evidence of the joy that prevails through even the greatest adversity.
Photo 4: Bakatue Festival in Elmina. Held on the doorsteps of the slave castle. A celebration that represents the beginning of the fishing season. Food, music, costumes, and dancing. An unexpected experience. Aren’t those always the best kind?
Photo 5: Bakatue Festival number two. As the parade made its way through the streets, I saw a variety of different masks. This one stood out; it looked familiar. A reminder of what terrors await my return to America.
Photo 6: My first trip to the Parliament building in Ghana. A building I would return to throughout our stay. The building feels like its stuck in the 1960s. I mean, wood panels on the wall? C’mon.
Photo 7: Outside of the Parliament building as visitors make their way to the entrance. The fashion in Ghana is something to strive for, I think. The colors and designs embody the personalities of Ghanaians.
Photo 8: This is a picture of David Martinez. Because who wouldn’t want to look at a picture of David?
Photo 9: Through*?
Photo 10: A motorcyclist in Ghana. I couldn’t tell if he was looking at me through his tinted visor.
Photo 11: Bosomtwe Lake. Our last stop on our last weekend trip. A beautiful ending to a beautiful trip to Kumasi.
Photo 12: Our boat guide at the lake. He drove us around a little bit before stopping and giving whoever wanted to jump the opportunity to do so. I did, of course. From what others who stayed on the boat have told me, my failed attempt at a dive splashed the boat and his phone.