Camaraderie

By Tariq Rasheed

This week has been filled with mixed emotions at XpressGas, I’m still trying to push for better work. I, however, have had the opportunity to develop relationships with some of my coworkers and speak with them about multiple topics, some I’ve bonded over food with, and for others it’s been family. A coworker of mine named Viktor always makes sure I eat lunch, giving me the opportunity to try some local Ghanaian foods such as kenkey and garden egg soup, he’s very assertive that I finish the food even though sometimes I don’t want to. Viktor is someone that has taken me out of my shell here and treated me like one of them and I’m thankful for that. Another one of my coworkers, Martin, is a total food junkie like myself, I went into his office one day and we talked about food, both Ghanaian and American, for over an hour. Martin is always delighted to see me try new Ghanaian food, he presented me the opportunity to attend his wedding where every type of Ghanaian food would be present but unfortunately, I’ll be back home by that time. Viktor has really taken the time to learn who I am, learning about where I’m from and my family, he’s even gifted me bracelets for the whole family. I am thankful for the relationship I’ve built with him because he often offers seeds of knowledge, along with plenty of humor, he’s always making fun of something or someone, including me.

« »